Thursday, August 16, 2007

Making Sense of Sorrow and Pain

Psalm 84:5-7

Blessed are those whose strength is in You, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs;
The autumn rains also cover it with pools. They go from strength to strength
Till each appears before God in Zion.

As I travel through the road of weeping.
The road of sorrow and pain;
My Lord, the God of all Comfort is with me.
He upholds and He sustains.

Just as this earth needs dark clouds and sunshine,
Our souls need both sorrow and joy.
So God allows us to travel,
Often in heart’s anguish deep.

As He leads us through these tribulations,
His omnipotent hand we sought.
For these deep sorrows He sends us
Are His lesson in grace.

Often we run and hide from the pruning,
Not knowing our dear Gardener knows.
The deeper the trimming
The richer the cluster will grow.

Only He knows that deep sorrow is needed;
For the purpose He has in view.
Well, I hear in my heart that day, He gently whispered,
“My dear, take comfort, soon you’ll understand why I do”.

As I travel life’s journey alone.
He promises His love ever with me.
As I learn to rest in Him, assured sorrow and losses
Are but parcel of blessings just sent in disguise.

So, now I follow my Master wherever He leads me.
Be it through path dreary or bright.
For I have proved that my God can
Give songs in the darkest night.”

No comments: