Sunday, January 15, 2006

I'm rich enough

CONTENTMENT - - - by Max Lucado

A businessman bought popcorn from an old street vendor each day after lunch. He once arrived to find the peddler closing up his stand at noon. "Is something wrong?" he asked. A smile wrinkled the seller's leathery face. "By no means. All is well."

"Then why are you closing your popcorn stand?" "So I can go to my house, sit on my porch, and sip tea with my wife." The man of commerce objected. "But the day is still young. You can still sell." "No need to," the stand owner replied. "I've made enough money for today."

"Enough? Absurd. You should keep working." The spry old man stopped and stared at his well-dressed visitor. "And why should I keep working?" "To sell more popcorn." "And why sell more popcorn?" "Because the more popcorn you sell, the more money you make. The more money you make, the richer you are. The richer you are, the more popcorn stands you can buy. The more popcorn stands you buy, the more peddlers sell your product, and the richer you become. And when you have enough, you can stop working, sell your popcorn
stands, stay home, and sit on the porch with your wife and drink tea."

The popcorn man smiled. "I can do that today. I guess I have enough."

I'm rich enough—a phrase on the verge of extinction. Wise was the one who wrote, "Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income" (Eccles. 5:10 NIV).

No comments: