Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Prayers for a Wayward Boy Scout

Prayers for a Wayward Boy Scout

I grew up outside the church, but when I learned about the God and Country award in the Boy Scouts, I wanted it. If that meant going to church, then that's what I determined to do. Each week I walked from my house to the little church building in the next block. I walked past the Rinards' home every time, and later, I worked for the Rinards, doing yard work. I attended that little church on the next block just long enough to get the award, and then I quit. Twelve years later, after I became a Christian and a preacher, I learned that Mr. and Mrs. Rinard were in a nursing home nearby. Out of friendship for the family, my wife and I decided to pay them a visit.After a delightful visit, Gail and I turned to leave. I don't remember which one of them spoke, but I'll never forget what they said: "Do you remember when you used to walk to that little church? We've not missed one day since, praying that God would do something in your life." For 12 years, this elderly couple prayed for me, every day—prayed that God would one day do something in my life. I had no other Christian influence at that time, but eventually I became a Christian and a preacher. I was prayed into the kingdom. There is simply no other explanation.

No comments: